2009 World Championships
The tournament featured six rounds of Standard play on Thursday, two Zendikar Booster Drafts with three rounds of Swiss each on Friday, six rounds of Extended on Saturday and the finals on Sunday. Also, the national teams played two rounds of Team Constructed each on Thursday and Saturday with the Top 4 teams advancing to the single elimination finals on Sunday. The team format was 3 Person Team Constructed with one player playing Standard, one Extended, and one Legacy.
409 players from 65 countries competed in the event. André Coimbra from Portugal won the tournament, thereby claiming the first prize of $45,000. In the team final, China defeated Austria to become the team champion. This was the first Magic Pro Tour event of any sort in which no player in the Top 8 was from the United States or Japan. It was also the first time a Pro Tour Top 8 consisted of players from eight different countries.
The Magic Online World Championship was held for the first time. It also took place in Rome at the site of the paper Magic World Championship. The players played three rounds each of Classic, Zendikar Booster Draft, and Standard on computers provided on the site. After nine rounds the two best players determined the title in a final match of Standard. Anssi Myllymäki from Finland defeated former Pro Player of the Year Shota Yasooka in the final, thus claiming the grand prize of $13,000. The other contestants won between $4,000 and $9,000.
|1||André Coimbra||$45,000||25||Second Pro Tour Top 8, first Portuguese to win a Pro Tour|
|3||Terry Soh||$15,000||16||Third Pro Tour Top 8|
|4||Bram Snepvangers||$14,000||16||Fourth Pro Tour Top 8|
|7||Marijn Lybaert||$10,000||12||Third Pro Tour Top 8|
- China — Wu Tong, Bo Li, Zhiyang Zhang
- Austria — Benedikt Klauser, Benjamin Rozhon, Bernhard Lehner
- Czech Republic — Lukas Jaklovsky, Lukas Blohon, Jan Kotrla
- Netherlands — Kevin Grove, Niels Noorlander, Tom van Lamoen
- Wizards of the Coast (November 19, 2009). "2009 Magic: The Gathering World Championships". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (November 22, 2009). "All Roads Lead to Victory for Coimbra, China". Magicthegathering.com.
- Bill Stark (November 22, 2009). "Finals: The Clean Sweep". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (April 29, 2009). "2009 World Prize Payout". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (May 4, 2009). "2009 World Tournament Format". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast (July 9, 2009). "2009 World Invitations List". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.
- Paul Jordan (December 7, 2009). "2009 World Championships Metagame". magicthegathering.com. Wizards of the Coast.