|Use||Power and Toughness alteration|
+1/+1 counters are the most common counter type in Magic. They were introduced in Alpha. A +1/+1 counter on a creature adds one to its power and toughness. Creatures using +1/+1 counters were among the most popular in the early history of the game.
For ease of comprehension, blocks tend to focus on only a single type of counter on creatures, and +1/+1 counters are the default choice. When +1/+1 counters are absent from a block, they are most commonly replaced by their inverse, -1/-1 counters. Occasionally, thematic counters are used instead, such as the ki and divinity counters of Kamigawa block.
As a further concession to mitigate complexity, +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters are the only power and toughness altering counters used in new products. Additionally, they are never used in the same block, to minimize confusion in limited play. A small handful of cards from the earliest sets still use other, obsolete counters.
Cancellation With -1/-1 Counters[edit | edit source]
When both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters are present on the same creature, they are immediately removed in matched pairs until only one or the other remains.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
+1/+1 counters are a component of many ability words, keyword abilities, and keyword actions. Their ubiquity is largely due to their lack of flavor, and enables a high level of compatibility between thematically unrelated mechanics.
They are used by the following mechanics:
- Keyword abilities
- Keyword actions
- Ability words
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (February 11 2008.) “+1/+1 Size Fits All”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (September 26 2005.) “+1/+1 For the Road”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (November 15 2014.) "Wither and undying in the same set?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (June 9 2015.) "Wouldn't the rule...", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Chris Millar. (February 14 2008.) “The Making of a +1/+1 Counter Culture”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.