This is a timeline of the Magic: The Gathering storyline. It is an unofficial document, but all information on it is taken from official canon sources (see: List of storyline sources). All stories that could be dated, or could not be dated but could be placed at some point in the timeline because of their connection to other stories, have been incorporated.
Dating systems[edit | edit source]
Cridhe[edit | edit source]
Dominaria[edit | edit source]
The dates on this timeline are in A.R.: Argivian Reckoning, with year 1 starting with the birth of Urza. Other known reckonings are Penregon Founded, beginning with the founding of the city Penregon in −912 A.R., and the Reckoning of the Sages of Minorad, starting with the gathering of said sages in 3000 A.R..
Most pre-revisioned dates were given in the Minorad reckoning, but most of them can't possibly be true in post-revisionist continuity. Minorad reckoning is only incorporated in the timeline and translated to A.R. if it can still be true in current continuity.
Another dating system was established by New Sumifans in Almaaz. Its Common Era (CE) starts around 3035 AR. (Date of 3000 BCE (Before Common Era) corresponds to times of Brothers, soon after Almaaz joined to Mishra's forces).
Note that this timeline is not completely accurate, and sometimes has taken estimate dates as true: for example, in Apocalypse Yawgmoth says the Battle of Megheddon Defile was 9000 years ago. Such large dates would obviously be estimates, and the battle could just as well have been 9001 or 8900 years ago. For the sake of simplicity 9000 years has been taken as a fact. Such interpretations are described in the notes below the timeline.
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Ravnica works with Z.C. and A.C., which stand for "Zal Concordat" and "Al Concordat", meaning "After the Agreement" and "Before the Agreement" in Old Ravi respectively. The agreement in this case is the signing of the Guildpact. We don't know how the dates compare to A.R. dates yet. Also, a Dominarian year is 420 days long and divided into twelve 35-day months, while Ravnican years are closer to Earth years in length despite having only ten months.
Timeline[edit | edit source]
Ancient history[edit | edit source]
The Time of Dragons[edit | edit source]
- Nicol Bolas is born.
- Around this time the Elder Dragons, who had ruled Dominaria for ages, were engaged in the Dragon War. The victors of that war were Nicol Bolas (who ascended), his siblings Arcades Sabboth, Palladia-Mors and Chromium, and his cousin Vaevictis Asmadi. Along with their children, the Lesser Elders, they became the sires of all the True Dragons. Those who lost the war were killed or stripped of their powers by a world spell. These maimed dragons became the ancestors of the other draconic races (Viashino, Wurms and Drakes).
- Nicol Bolas battles a demonic leviathan in the first recorded planeswalker duel to take place on Dominaria. The fight reduced Madara to a third of its former size and created the first rift on the world. What remained of the leviathan came to be known as the Talon Gates after Nicol Bolas devoured its remains.
- In the aftermath of this war, Sivitri Scarzam conquered Corondor with the help of the dragons spawned by Scarzam, a Lesser Elder whose name she took.
- The six tribes of Djinn wage war on each other on Rabiah. After they diminished each other's forces, humans became the ruling race of Rabiah.
- The Guildpact is created on the plane of Ravnica after a long war led by the opposing Cisarzim and Razia. Ravnican guilds divide duties across nine guilds for the betterment of the plane as a whole. Ravnica begins its long evolution into a predominantly urban plane.
- Oona begins manipulating the plane of Lorwyn by causing perpetual daylight on the plane, followed after an Aurora by a period of perpetual night. The plane's inhabitants are unaware of this change.
- A powerful, unnamed planeswalker violently tears the plane of Alara into five separate shards, each containing only three colors of mana. The inhabitants of the planes later grow accustomed to this change and soon knowledge of the plane's historical unification fades into myth.
- Dominaria has by now been conquered by the Primeval Dragons. They are defeated by the Numena, who take their powers. Kuberr, Llowalyn and Averru kill the other two Numena. Then Averru lures the others into war to ensure their rebirth.
The Time of the Thran[edit | edit source]
- Halcyon solidifies its position as capital of the Thran Empire. A power struggle begins between the elite imperialists and republican rabble, with the artificers on the side of the elite and the eugenicists on that of the republicans.
- Glacian is born.
- Yawgmoth is born.
- The Halcyon elite stamps out the last bits of republican resistance. All the eugenicists are exiled.
- Yawgmoth is recalled from exile by Rebbec to cure Glacian. He discovers that phthisis is caused by powerstone radiation that the Untouchables have caught it en masse because their caves lie under the Mana Rig that makes the stones, and that the Halcytes themselves are also starting to get infected.
- Gix leads the first Untouchables' uprising to take vengeance on the people who afflicted them with phthisis. Yawgmoth discovers a serum that slows the disease down and uses it to quell the rebellion.
- Gix leads the second rebellion of Untouchables. But by now Yawgmoth holds power over the entire defense of Halcyon and stops the rebellion once more, this time forcing Gix into his personal service.
- A planeswalker named Dyfed appears before Yawgmoth and shows him the plane of Pyrulea.
- Months later, after the city is rebuilt, the Thran Alliance sends delegates to Halcyon. Dwarves, elves, minotaurs, viashino, cat people, and barbarians reveal that their countries have all been ravaged by Yawgmoth and his eugenicist followers during their exile. The Alliance tells Halcyon to rid Yawgmoth of his privileges, or they will declare war. The council decides Yawgmoth can stay, but with 15 against 13 votes, with the two deciding votes being those of Rebbec and Yawgmoth himself. Yawgmoth overthrows the council and starts to prepare for war.
- Yawgmoth is shown Phyrexia by Dyfed, who opens a stable portal between that plane and Dominaria.
- Dyfed takes the imprisoned Thran council along with a host of Glacian's goblins to the plane of Mercadia.
- Yawgmoth defeats the Thran Alliance, but Rebbec closes the portal from Dominaria to Phyrexia. Yawgmoth and his followers are trapped on the other side.
- The Null Moon is brought into orbit.
The "Golden Age" of Magic[edit | edit source]
- Xarl turns the Serra Angel Trine into a Fallen Angel using the Horned Halo and conquers the north of Corondor.
- Geyadrone Dihada conquers the south of Corondor and turns the nature spirit of Khone into Sol'Kanar the Swamp King. Dihada tricks a young boy from the destroyed village Carth into summoning Dakkon Blackblade and binding them to each other. Dihada and Dakkon fight. Dakkon slays Dihada's minion, the Lesser Elder Piru, but Dihada absorbs her power. Dakkon is marked by Dihada as one of her champions, but gets back his shadow. The boy from Carth and Dakkon travel to Terisiare. The boy starts the lineage of the Carthalions.
- Left by his mistress, Sol'Kanar seeks to restore his power and fight the Fallen Angel in the north. He and two women try to summon the Scarzam Dragons. They succeed, but Sivitri Scarzam also appears and turns against Sol'Kanar. A war ensues and the city of Khone is destroyed. The outcome of the war is unknown.
- Three centuries after Trine was turned into a Fallen Angel, the adopted son of the magician, Eskil, summons the angel Rahel to subdue Trine. Eskil is blinded in the final conflict. Eskil ascends.
- The Battle of Mors-Ridge takes place.
- Zhalfir masters the use of magic before the Brothers' War.
- Edgar Markov creates the curse of vampirism on Innistrad with the assistance of the demon Shilgengar.
- The Eldrazi are imprisoned by Sorin, Ugin, and the Lithomancer, Nahiri. According to Doug Beyer this happened 6000 years before the current events. 
- Penregon founded.
Between the creation and the destruction of the Shard[edit | edit source]
The Time of the Brothers[edit | edit source]
- The brothers are apprenticed to Tocasia.
- Urza and Mishra's father dies.
- Urza and Mishra discover the remains of an Ornithopter.
- The brothers and Tocasia discover the Caves of Koilos, in which the portal to Phyrexia is enclosed. The brothers split the powerstone by accident. Conflict between the brothers rises, with Tocasia caught in between. She dies when hit by energy beams from the stones. Mishra flees into the desert, and is enslaved by Fallaji nomads. Urza becomes an apprentice clockmaker in Kroog.
- Urza marries the princess of Yotia. Mishra gains control over a Phyrexian dragon engine and becomes the Fallaji's head 'wizard'.
- Korlisia, Argive, Yotia and the Falajji meet on a peace conference in Korlis. This ends in disaster. The Warlord of Yotia dies, leaving Urza in charge. Mishra recruits more dragon engines from Phyrexia.
- The priests of Gix leave their monastery for Koilos.
- A new peace conference in Kroog also ends disastrously and is the official beginning of the Brothers' War.
- Kroog is destroyed by dragon engines. The Qadir of the Fallaji is killed. Mishra is appointed the new Qadir.
- Gix enters Dominaria.
- The Brothers' War rages on. The Carthalion family joins Mishra's side of the battle.
- Harbin born.
- The combined kingdoms invade and liberate Yotia. Yotia is subsumed into Argive and Korlis.
- Urza's forces press towards Tomakul, where Mishra is situated. The forces are routed ten miles from the city. Tawnos is captured.
- Ashnod helps Tawnos to escape. The Brotherhood of Gix discover this and persuade Mishra to banish her. Ashnod leaves for Almaaz. Tawnos returns to Argive. Harbin begins training as an ornithopter pilot. Mishra's forces begin to attack Terisia City.
- The Gixians betray the Third Path. Terisia City falls. Hurkyl is killed. Drafna, Feldon and Loran flee. Loran is later captured by Ashnod, who takes the Golgothian Sylex.
- Gix lures Urza and Mishra to Argoth. The brothers strip the island of its resources during their battles.
- The final battle of the Brothers' War takes place. Gix makes all the artifact creatures in both armies go berserk. During the battle Ashnod hands the Sylex to Tawnos before she is killed by Gix. Tawnos gives it to Urza. Mishra is revealed to have been altered by Phyrexian constructs.
- Urza activates the Sylex.
The blast obliterates Argoth, turns Urborg into a swamp, and sends all of Dominaria into an Ice Age. Urza ascends. The Shard of the Twelve Worlds begins to form. Gix and his minions retreat to Phyrexia.
- In the aftermath of the war, Argive, Yotia, Yomuk, Malpiri, and Korlis collapse. Almaaz is the only city-state on Terisiare to remain intact. The Dark Age begins.
The Refraction of Rabiah[edit | edit source]
- Not long after the Sylex Blast on Dominaria, Taysir is born on the plane of Rabiah. During his infancy, an unknown event causes Rabiah to be copied 1000 times. So are all the people, places and objects of the original Rabiah, with few exceptions — only five incarnations of Taysir among them.
- The Sorceress Queen Nailah seduces the black magic copy of Taysir and tells him that he will become a planeswalker if he unites himself with the other four copies.
The Black Taysir absorbs the Green Taysir with force, but feels enormous guilt over this and turns against Nailah.
- The Red Taysir and the White Taysir unite out of free will and later unite with the Blue Taysir as well. Then Taysir challenges Nailah. The white-blue-red Taysir finally unites with the green-black one to create a single Taysir. The ascended Taysir leaves Rabiah about three decades after its Refraction, never to return to his homeplane again. As he leaves, Nailah casts a ban on the planes of Rabiah and locks Taysir and other planeswalkers out of the 1001 worlds.
The Dark Age[edit | edit source]
- Loran dies of an illness. Feldon tries to resurrect her with different types of magic.
- The events of “And Peace Shall Sleep” transpire.
- Driven by colder winters, the goblin and orc tribes of Sarpadia migrate out of their mountains, invading and overthrowing the Dwarven Empire.
- Fleeing from the Homarids that are attacking Vodalia, Empress Galina is accidentally transported over 3000 years into the future. Vodalia falls. Etlan Shiis becomes the new center of Merfolk culture.
- Tymolin Loneglade is murdered by Oliver Farrel. Her brother, the planeswalker Tev Loneglade goes insane, assumes the identity of Tevesh Szat, the Doom of Fools, and urges the goblins and orcs to attack Icatia.
- The Thrulls rebel against their Ebon Hand masters. The Havenwood elves are overrun by the Thallid. Icatia is overrun by the goblin and orc hordes. Then the Thallid, the golbins, and the orcs are overrun by the Thrull.
- Nevinyrral activates his disk on Urborg, ending the war between Urborg and Bogardan, but destroying Urborg's capitol.
- Jodah gains near-immortality by bathing in a Fountain of Youth. Jodah receives his mirror. Jodah frees Lord Ith. Ith destroys the Conclave of Mages. Jodah journeys to the City of Shadows where he eventually becomes the Archmage Eternal.
- Ith and Tivadar lead a crusade against the goblins.
- Almaaz falls to the Rigida Ice-monsters.
- Events from "Dark Legacy" take place.
The Ice Age[edit | edit source]
- The beginning of the Ice Age of Dominaria.
- Sima dies. The grief of this event is the latest in a long line of emotional strains for Jodah, who begins to descend into madness. He saves himself by using his mirror to save his memories, wipe his mind clean and use the memories in the mirror to regain himself, without the emotional attachment. Jodah will repeat this roughly once a century for 2500 years.
- Taysir comes to Dominaria and falls in love with Kristina of the Woods. They are both trapped when the Shard closes not much later.
- The Shard of the Twelve Worlds is fully formed.
- On an unspecified plane within the Shard, Ravidel is apprenticed to Faralyn. Ravidel befriends Chromium Rhuell.
- Urza Planeswalker meets the defective Phyrexian newt Xantcha. He thinks she's a human turned Phyrexian and takes her along with him in his crusade against Yawgmoth.
- Urza launches an attack on Phyrexia, but is defeated. Yawgmoth corrupts Urza, causing him to degenerate into madness.
- Urza and Xantcha are brought to Serra's Realm. Serra heals Urza, but his mind has still not fully recovered. Phyrexians eventually follow the two to the Realm and invade it, prompting Serra to flee and Radiant to rise to power.
- Thanks to the meddling of Tevesh Szat, the kingdom Storgard falls. Freyalise ascends. Jason Carthalion and Oriel Kjeldos head southward with their followers and found Kjeldor.
- Urza and Xantcha arrive on Equilor, hoping to learn the origins of the Phyrexians. Urza learns that Dominaria is shielded from the other planes by the Shard, and thinks his crusade has ended. He plans to create an artifact-based paradise on Equilor before the inhabitants ask him to leave.
- Jodah and Jaya Ballard rescue King Darien from the Knights of Stromgald. Jodah unites Kjeldor and Balduvia against Lim-Dûl. Lim-Dûl is defeated and Leshrac takes the necromancer with him when he departs Dominaria.
- The summit of the Null Moon takes place. Chromium Rhuell is killed, and Ravidel ascends. Leshrac, Lim-Dûl and Faralyn flee to Shandalar.
- Jaeuhl Carthalion defeats Tevesh Szat. Szat flees to Shandalar.
- Freyalise completes the World Spell and enchants Jodah's mirror.
- The Shard is destroyed. The Ice Age comes to an end. The Flood Ages begin.
- Faralyn is killed on Shandalar. Lim-Dûl, Leshrac and Tevesh-Szat start a war on Shandalar. Lim-Dûl and Szat are eventually defeated by Kenal Sharmal. Lim-Dûl is left behind. Sharmal's powers are severely drained.
Modern History[edit | edit source]
The Flood Ages[edit | edit source]
- Urza learns from the Equilorians that the Shard has been breached. He gives up his plans for Equilor and returns to Dominaria with Xantcha to fight Phyrexia once more.
- Kristina leaves Taysir. Ravidel is apprenticed to Taysir. Taysir craves to return home but can't return to Rabiah because of Nailah's spell. Ravidel pushes Taysir to kill planeswalkers and use their energy to pierce the spell, just like Faralyn did to the Shard during the Summit. Taysir hunts down Leshrac but cannot bring himself to kill in cold blood, so he imprisons him in Phyrexia. Ravidel leaves Taysir for an unspecified amount of time.
- Flooding caused by the World Spell drowns Fyndhorn. Jaeuhl Carthalion and Kaysa lead the Fyndhorn survivors to Yavimaya and makes peace with Multani and the intelligent gorillas.
- The Sheoltun Empire collapses.
- An evil mage conquers Wrenna. Tortsen von Ursus leaves Wrenna and lives alongside the Hurloon Minotaurs for a while. Tortsen rescues the city of Benfosa, in the former Sheoltun Empire, and founds Benalia.
- Lim-Dûl returns with an army of undead. Azar, Sharmal's apprentice defeats him, but gets trapped with him in one body. Sharmal hides the body, for its energies keep 'walkers from entering Shandalar.
- Jodah unites Kjeldor and Balduvia into New Argive.
- Mairsil, possessing Jaya Ballard destroys Soldev and the School of the Unseen, using Phyrexian Warbeasts and Soldevi Steambeasts. Jodah destroys Mairsil. Jaya Ballard ascends. Jaya defeats the War- and Steambeasts.
- Sek'Kuar rises to power.
- The Rimewind mage Heidar rises to power to try and reinstate the Ice Age with the help of Garza Zol. He kills Lovisa Coldeyes in his plans before being eliminated by his former ally.
- Ravidel, wishing revenge on Leshrac, Tevesh Szat, Kristina, and all other people that once betrayed him, starts a long-term plan on Corondor.
- Ravidel battles Ash Warlord Embereck over the Golgothian Sylex. A bargain is struck and Ravidel gains control of the sylex.
The "Empty Quarter"[edit | edit source]
- Johan attempts to conquer the Jamuraan city-state of Bryce, but is defeated by Jedit Ojanen. Johan is killed by a sand wurm.
- The sages of Minorad gather. These sages, Kristina of the Woods, Ash Warlord Embereck, Grenfell Mor of Golthonor, Altair of Coloni, and Liana of Minorad, are visited by Ravidel who threatens them with the Golgothian Sylex. Embereck leaves the council. The others agree to Ravidel's demands: his plans will be left alone, whatever they are.
- Ravidel banishes Kristina from the White Woods. Grenfell is locked in the sand seas of Golthonor. Altair wanders Corondor for ages. Liana is left under the mind control of Ravidel's own spell squire the Red Vizier. The Vizier talks his way into House Carthalion, hoping that one day a child with the planeswalkers spark will be born in this family of powerful mages and the child will overthrow Ravidel.
- Lim-Dûl defeats Azar and returns, but finds that Shandalar has powerful defenders now. He starts the Wizard's War, but loses. Sharmal removes Lim-Dûl from Azar's body and puts him in an artifact which is used to keep the Planar Ban around Shandalar intact.
- Arzakon discovers Shandalar, but is thwarted by Sharmal.
- The guild-lords Alsadim K'mer, Starcryst, Lichlord, Kzzy'n and the Great Druid rise up against the Guardian, believing they can cast a spell to gain dominion over all of Shandalar. They have been deceived however, for this spell in truth gives Arzakon access to Shandalar. The artifact that holds Lim-Dûl is shattered and Arzakon arrives, but he is defeated by the second apprentice of Kenan Sharmal.
- Empress Galina emerges from the time stream, defeats the council of Etlan Shiis, and founds New Vodalia.
- Xantcha meets Ratepe and has him pose as Mishra.
- Jodah visits Urza and brings him to his senses.
- Urza kills all Sleeper Agents on Dominaria.
- Urza fights Gix in the Caves of Koilos. Xantcha and Ratepe die.
- The Tolarian Academy is founded.
- Sarkhan arrives in the past of Tarkir to influence the battle between Nicol Bolas and Ugin (date approximate).
- Teferi is born.
- Phyrexians overrun the Tolarian Academy and kill everyone. Karn is sent 24 hours back in time to stop this, but the academy is destroyed when Urza's time machine is overloaded. Urza, Barrin, Karn and several students escape the island. The sleeper agent Kerrick is locked in a fast-time bubble. Several survivors stay on the island.
- Urza, Barrin and Karn return to Tolaria and are reunited with Jhoira, who is the last survivor on the island. They rebuild the academy. Jhoira falls into a coma.
- Jhoira emerges from her coma and saves Teferi from the slow-time bubble he had been caught in ever since the destruction of the academy.
- Urza journeys to Shiv and discovers the Mana Rig. Urza starts creating the Legacy artifacts. Shortly afterward he also starts his Bloodline project.
- Urza comes to Yavimaya to find allies against Phyrexia, but is imprisoned in an ancient tree for his crimes against Argoth. Multani discovers the Phyrexians are a threat that only Urza can deal with. He frees Urza and grants him the Weatherseed.
- Kerrick's (now K'rrik) forces escape from a fast-time bubble, but are defeated by Urza.
- Urza defeats Radiant in Serra's Realm. Serra's Realm collapses and its energy is trapped in the power matrix of Weatherlight. Serran refugees move to Dominaria.
- Jhoira and Teferi move to Zhalfir.
- Urza reveals his Bloodline project and most of Tolaria is now working on it.
- Croag, a Phyrexian Inner Circle member, is awakened by Yawgmoth to hunt down Urza. He starts sending Negators after Urza.
- Davvol is taken to Rath to become its new steward.
- Rofellos is brought to Yavimaya to help craft the forest's defenses against Phyrexia.
- Karn's memory is capped at 20 years.
- Gatha leaves Tolaria to start his own Bloodline project in Keld.
- Nahiri awakens, fights eldrazi, and begins her search from Sorin as seen in Stirring from Slumber.
- The Tolgath and the Ancients wage war on Ulgrotha. Ravi ends this war by ringing the Apocalypse Chime, which destroys the leylines of Ulgrotha, kills nearly everything on the plane, and weakens the planar barriers between Dominaria and Kamigawa.
- Orcs and goblins that survived the ringing of the Apocalypse Chime form a kingdom in the Koskun Mountains.
- Urza gets Clan Capashen involved in the Bloodline project.
- Kreig becomes the ruler of Keld. Keld grows into a powerful nation and attracts Phyrexia's attention. Croag learns of the Bloodline project. Phyrexia begins its attacks on suspected Bloodline sites such as Keld, Benalia, and Yavimaya.
- On the night of his daughter's birth, Konda uses Hizoka's research and the soratami's aid to take Kyodai from the spirit realm and lock her into the form of a stone disc that makes Konda immortal. This enrages O-Kagachi, mightiest of kami, and starts the Kami War.
- Godo begins to make trouble on the borders of Konda's realm.
- Kobo is apprenticed to Hidestugu.
- Michiko Konda sets out to discover her involvement in the beginning of the Kami War. Toshiro Umezawa gets involved in Mochi's plans. Michiko, Toshi and their companions are captured by the Orochi of the Myojin of Life's Web, who want to kill Michiko to end the war. They escape and Toshi allies himself with the Myojin of Night's Reach to defeat Life's Web.
- Enraged over the death of his apprentice Kobo at the hands of Choryu, who was taking orders from the wizards of Minamo and the Moonfolk, Hidestugu launches an attack on Minamo Academy and the moonfolk capitol Oboro.
- O-Kagachi finally manifests in the physical world and demolishes Eiganjo. Toshi brings That Which Was Taken to Minamo to set *O-Kagachi against Mochi. The fallen samurai rise as spirits and Konda leads them to reclaim That Which Was Taken.
- Hidetsugu is sent to the lair of the Oni of All-Consuming Chaos and merges with it. Toshi takes That Which Was Taken from Mochi again and brings it to Michiko, who frees Kyodai from it. The two of them defeat O-Kagachi, Konda, and Mochi, and leave to form the new O-Kagachi.
- Toshi is taken to Dominaria and blinded by the Myojin of Night's Reach as punishment for indirectly recreating the planar barriers around Kamigawa, denying the Myojin her planeswalking abilities. Toshi survives and starts the Umezawa lineage.
- Nicol Bolas usurps Madara
- Some dwarves go through a portal and end up in Ulgrotha. They found the city New Freedom. Some of these dwarves set out across the ocean to explore this new world.
- Two planeswalkers fight in Ulgrotha. Baron Sengir is left behind. Sengir overtakes New Freedom and turns its princess, Irini, into a vampire.
- The Baron discovers his old friend Ravi locked in a vault on top of the Basalt Spire.
- Serra arrives on Ulgrotha. She unites the nomad tribes into the city-state Aysen.
- Dwarves on Ulgrotha that fled after Sengir attacked New Freedom, as well as some of the explorer Dwarves that had left the city prior to that, unite on the Floating Isle.
- Feroz arrives on Ulgrotha. He meets Sandruu, a minotaur whom he trains in the use of magic. He also meets Serra. Serra and Feroz fall in love. After meeting the two 'walkers, Baron Sengir decides to lie low for a while.
- Sandruu ascends. During his travels he meets Kristina and they become romantically involved.
- Croag leads a major attack on Keld. Gatha and Kreig die. Croag is seriously injured. Phyrexia gains access to the ruins of Gatha's laboratory.
- Feroz visits the Floating Isle and founds the Wizards' School there.
- Ravidel shows Taysir the lovers Sandruu and Kristina. Taysir attacks Sandruu and follows him to Ulgrotha. Sandruu is banished to some far away plane. Feroz kills Taysir, but saves his Centre of Consciousness to be cleansed by the Anaba spirit crafters.
- Serra and Feroz erect Feroz's Ban around Ulgrotha.
- Eron the Relentless steals a book of magic from Grandmother Sengir for Reveka. In exchange, Reveka casts an immortality spell on Eron.
Modern times[edit | edit source]
- Adam Carthalion, deceived by Ravidel, is on a quest to become a planeswalker. He wants to stop the new disaster that is about to happen on Dominaria according to the seers. On this quest he even sacrifices his own wife. Ravidel says he will make Adam a planeswalker if Adam sacrifices his son Jared. Adam refuses. The battle of Astor Falls takes place.
- Ravidel discovers Jared Carthalion lives as a street urchin in Arathoxia and begins to send creatures after him.
- Ravidel launches an attack on Arathoxia. The Scarlet Vizier is killed in the attack, and Liana of Minorad joins Jared's side in the battle. They attack Ravidel's castle and leave him for dead.
- Jared is apprenticed to Kristina.
- Kristina and Jared discover Ravidel is fighting Liana over the Moxen. Liana gives them to Jared and fights Ravidel in the Abyss. Liana is killed.
- Jared and Kristina meet Grenfell Mor, who's been working on a spell to deactivate the Golgothian Sylex. Jared and Kristina become lovers.
- The Nightmare Caliphear frees Altair. The two join Jared and Kristina, and they attack Ravidel. The sylex is destroyed, but Ravidel gets away with the Moxen. Altair is killed.
- Ravidel erects the Mox Beacon, summoning the planeswalkers that once betrayed him to Corondor and stripping them of their powers.
- The planeswalkers race over the continent to retrieve their powers, which are scattered over the land. A massive war follows that destroys most of Corondor. The outcome is unknown.
- Rofellos fights Phyrexians in Yavimaya while Davvol overlaps it with Rath.
- Urza meets Lyna of the Soltari.
- Croag murders Davvol for his failures and his plans to kill Croag himself.
- The House of Oor-tael in Kush is destroyed during the Night of Fire. Kuthuman becomes a planeswalker.
- Destruction of White Ridge. The wizard Towser intends to sacrifice Greensleeves to steal her power, but his plans are thwarted by Gull, Lily and Greensleeves herself. The three vow to form an army to fight evil wizards.
- Greensleeves becomes planeswalker, but she sacrifice her spark to heal the poisoned and ill land of Lat-Nam island.
- Ihsan visits Baron Sengir. He wants to be turned into a vampire so he has the strength to kill the Baron, but Sengir is on to him, and turns him into a Shade instead.
- Feroz dies in a lab accident. Serra leaves Ulgrotha and is killed by a 'walker who wants her ring.
- Feroz's Ban collapses.
- Argenti and Kusho defect from the Madaran Empire. Ramses Overdark attempts to retake the islands, but is thwarted by Tetsuo Umezawa.
- Marhault Elsdragon leads a major campaign against Argenti and Kusho. Both islands are crushed. Ramses has Elsdragon killed and rises to power.
- Argenti and Kusho are liberated. Ramses Overdark's manor is destroyed by Kolo Meha. Tetsuo Umezawa slays Ramses Overdark and Nicol Bolas.
- Mangara becomes one of the most powerful men in Zhalfir and even Jamuraa through politics. Mangara's Harmony begins. This golden age eventually ends with Mangara's imprisonment by Kaervek. So starts the Mirage War.
- Crovax born.
- Vuel born.
- Sisay born.
- Gerrard born.
- Later, Phyrexia invades Benalia. Karn rescues Gerrard and brings him to Sidar Kondo.
- Ertai born
- Tahngarth born.
- Sisay becomes a cabin 'boy' aboard a pirate ship after being freed from a slaver's ship.
- The Mirage War ends. Asmira sacrifices herself to free Mangara. Teferi repairs the timeline. Several years later, Sisay meets Tahngarth.
- Squee born.
- Vuel fails his rite of maturity because of Starke's meddling. He leaves the Kondo clan and, influenced by Starke, steals the Legacy from Gerrard. Karn is deactivated. Vuel wages war against his father and kills him. Phyrexia approaches Vuel. Vuel becomes the new Evincar of Rath: Volrath.
- Rofellos is killed during a Phyrexian attack on Urborg. Gerrard, Crovax, and Mirri leave the crew.
- Astor becomes a Keldon Warlord.
- Astor battles Skouras the dragon.
- Volrath abducts Sisay. The Weatherlight crew picks up Gerrard, Ertai, Starke, Mirri and Crovax and planeshifts to Rath.
- The Weatherlight crew frees Sisay. Crovax kills Selenia, placing the curse of vampirism on himself. Crovax kills Mirri. Ertai and Crovax are left on Rath. Weatherlight leaves for Mercadia.
- The Weatherlight crew defeats the Phyrexians in Mercadia.
- Volrath is killed. Ertai is corrupted by the Phyrexians. Crovax is named the new evincar of Rath.
- The Phyrexian Invasion starts. Urza assembles the Nine Titans. Hanna is killed by the Phyrexian plague. Orim find a cure for the plague.
- Benalia is destroyed. Llanowar is severely damaged. Takara is killed. Barrin commits suicide by obliterating all of Tolaria. The Battle of Koilos takes place. The portal to Phyrexia is closed.
- The Rathi Overlay begins.
- Tevesh Szat betrays the Titans and kills Daria and Kristina. Szat gets Darigaaz to make the Primevals rise again. Karn talks sense into Darigaaz. Darigaaz dives into a volcano to break the link of the Primevals. Rith and Crosis are imprisoned again. Dromar and Treva are destroyed. Weatherlight is destroyed. Urza kills Szat and powers the soul bombs. Gerrard and Squee are captured by Ertai.
- Urza joins Phyrexia and kills Taysir. Gerrard joins Phyrexia and battles Urza.
Gerrard decapitates Urza. Gerrard turns against Phyrexia again and is transported back to the Stronghold. Gerrard kills Crovax. Squee kills Ertai.
- The remaining Titans activate the soul bombs. Phyrexia is almost completely destroyed.
- Karn's memory cap is removed. He discovers a new way to read the Thran Tome. Weatherlight is reborn.
- Multani transplants part of Yavimaya to the borders of Urborg. Dwarves make the volcano in which the Stronghold is now situated erupt.
- Yawgmoth enters Dominaria as a death cloud. Eladamri, Lin Sivvi, Bo Levar and Commodore Guff die, along with what is surely billions of Dominarians.
- The Legacy is completed. Yawgmoth is slain by the combined power of The Legacy. Karn ascends.
- Freyalise erects the Martyrs' Tomb.
- Tanhgarth, Sisay, and Squee get a new ship. Orim marries Cho-Manno.
Post-Apocalypse[edit | edit source]
- Leshrac frees the Weaver King from the Stronghold.
100 years after the Apocalypse[edit | edit source]
- Chainer discovers the Mirari. Kirtar and Aboshan try to use the Mirari, but are killed in the process.
- Balthor defeats Burke, becoming a zombie in the process. Kamahl goes into the Krosan Forest to look for Thriss.
- Jeska is brought to Seton after a Mirari-influenced Kamahl strikes her. Kamahl kills the zombie Balthor and Laquatus. Kamahl becomes a druid and leaves the Mirari in Krosa.
- The Mirari's mutating waves spread across Otaria.
- Braids kills Seton and brings Jeska to the Cabal Patriarch.
- Thousands of Dominarians immigrate to Otaria.
- Jeska becomes Phage and kills Nivea. Ixidor creates Akroma. Kamahl and Phage lead a war against Ixidor and Akroma. Phage creates the Deathwurms. Ixidor is devoured by a deathwurm. Kamahl goes into exile in Krosa.
- Zagorka discovers the city of Averru. Kuberr is reborn out of the union between Phage and the Cabal Patriarch. Lowallyn is reincarnated in the form of Ixidor after he leaves the deathwurm.
- Akroma and Phage finish their war in Averru. Kamahl slays Phage, Akroma, and Zagorka. Karona is born.
- Karona leaves Dominaria, leaving it without mana. After a meeting with Karn, Karona returns to Dominaria, where she destroys Aphetto and the Grand Coliseum, kills Llowalyn and Kuberr, and trashes Averru. Sash and Waistcoat kill Karona.
- Jeska ascends. Karn takes her to Argentum. Karn turns the Mirari into Memnarch. Phyrexian Oil pollutes Argentum.
4306 - 4331
- The Ur-Golems have a wondrous society on Mirrodin, until Memnarch destroys them.
- Memnarch brings many living things to Mirrodin via the Soul Traps.
- The Phyrexian oil creates the Mycosynth and makes sure the line between artificial and natural creatures starts to blur on Mirrodin.
- Memnarch thinks Karn visits him regularly, but that's just delusions. He subconsciously excludes the real Karn from Mirrodin. Memnarch wants to become a planeswalker and starts to launch the Moons of Mirrodin: gigantic artificial mana batteries that will power Mirrodin after it is turned into a machine to transfer the planeswalker's spark of one of Mirrodin's inhabitants into Memnarch.
- Glissa starts to uncover the mysteries of Mirrodin. The final moon of Mirrodin is launched. Yert dethrones Geth. The Mephidross expands rapidly. Glissa is caught in a temporal trap.
- Memnarch transports Glissa's spark to his own body, but both die before the process is completed. All life on Mirrodin ends. Slobad gets the spark and ascends.
- Karn returns to Mirrodin. Slobad gives up his spark to resurrect all people on Mirrodin and transport the original generations home. Karn turns Memnarch back into the Mirari.
- Slobad, Glissa and Geth's decapitated head are left on Mirrodin by Karn to guard the Mirari. Slobad is almost immediately killed by goblins. Glissa flees into the heart of Mirrodin, where she is captured by Phyrexians and is compleated. Geth flees to the Mephidross and begins his partnership with Phyrexia.
- The Ravnican Decamillennial occurs. Szadek's machinations directly lead to the destruction of the Guildpact. A new, non-magical Guildpact is written. It is unknown at exactly which time these events occurred, but it is known that the new Guildpact was unsuccessful in maintaining the guilds' control.
The Mending[edit | edit source]
4306 - 4505
- The collective impact of the Sylex Blast, the Shard, the Tolarian time travel experiments, the Rathi Overlay and Karona starts to be felt, as mana-sucking rifts begin to open all over Dominaria. Magic, time and reality becomes increasingly unstable, and it is more difficult to planeswalk on Dominaria.
- Teferi, Jhoira and a pair of Viashino and Ghitus return from their self-imposed exile to find Dominaria in a state of decay. Teferi begins work to try to return Zhalfir and Shiv to Dominaria without further damaging the plane.
- Teferi gives up his spark in order to close the Shivan time rift. Freyalise dies closing the Skyshroud rift. Lord Windgrace imbues Urborg with his essence and dies closing the Urborg rift. Karn disappears after closing the Tolarian rift. Nicol Bolas destroys the Honden of Night's Reach and turns the Myojin's followers against her.
- Jeska falls under the manipulation of Leshrac. She closes the rift over Zhalfir, but ends up destroying Zhalfir in the process. She then closes the rift over Yavimaya, but damages the ecosystem and possibly destroys Multani. She attempts to close the rift over Madara, but Leshrac's plot is revealed. He attacks Nicol Bolas with an artifact given to him by the Myojin of Night's Reach. Bolas is able to beat Leshrac using the actual mask of Night's Reach. He uses an enthralled Leshrac to close the Madaran rift.
- Jeska gives her life to close the final rift over Otaria. Teferi sets out to become a mage of Suq'Ata. Jhoira meets with a man claiming to be Jodah. Radha unifies the Keldons and remaining Skyshroud Elves. Venser departs Dominaria to explore the planes.
Post-Mending[edit | edit source]
- Oona's acts of interfering with Lorwyn's natural linear progression are ended by the rebellion put into motion by Colfenor. Oona's duplicate, Maralen, assumes control of the plane with the help of Colfenor's sapling and the elemental Ashling. Maralen restores the normal flow of day and night over the plane.
- Nissa Revane journeys to Lorwyn before the great Aurora and studies black mana under the elves of the Gilt Leaf.
- Jace Beleren becomes an employee of the Infinite Consortium on Ravnica.
- Chandra Nalaar overthrows the Order of Heliud on the plane of Regatha.
- Jace defects and joins with Liliana Vess to dethrone Tezzeret as the Infinite Consortium's master. Tezzeret's inert form is picked up by Nicol Bolas.
- Sarkhan Vol becomes a vassal of Nicol Bolas shortly before the reunification of the shards of Alara upon Jund.
- Bolas reaps the seeds of war as the fractured Shards of Alara reunite. The energy from the resulting Maelstrom is absorbed by Bolas, and returns some (perhaps all) of the power he lost in the Mending. Bolas fights Ajani Goldmane and is driven from the plane. The rest of the unified Alara is embroiled in a worldwide war between the former shards. Elspeth Tirel flees to Urborg after the Conflux.
- The Phyrexians begin to corrupt Mirrodin's inhabitants in earnest, corrupting the land and starting the compleation of the population of the plane.
- Liliana Vess takes control of the Chain Veil. She uses its power to overthrow Kothophed, one of her demon masters. Sarkhan is sighted tracking Liliana.
- Garruk Wildspeaker runs afoul of Liliana and becomes cursed. He turns to Jace to find Liliana, interrupting his research of the Dragon Scroll that Chandra had stolen from Kephalai.
- The archangel Avacyn and the demon Griselbrand, to whom Liliana owes a portion of her soul, disappear from the plane of Innistrad.
- Chandra surfaces on Zendikar looking for a ruin sage named Anowon, and with him, searches for the Eye of Ugin. They encounter Sarkhan once they reach the eye and he plans to sacrifice Chandra for unknown reasons. Jace appears and assists Chandra, striking an uneasy truce to defeat Sarkhan. Their actions trigger a reaction in the Hedrons surrounding the Eye. Chandra and Sarkhan leave the plane the same day, Jace leaves 2 weeks later.
- Sarkhan returns to Bolas's Meditation Realm to inform the dragon of the events that transpired at the Eye. Bolas reveals Tezzeret's body, in the midst of being rebuilt, to Sarkhan.
- Nissa Revane and her Tajuru allies are attacked by Eldrazi brood lineage. Sorin Markov shows up and deals with the remaining brood, recovering Anowon after 3 months of enslavement by the Eldrazi in the process. Nissa agrees to lead him to Akoum. Upon arrival, the elf and the vampire argue with each other, which results in Nissa breaking the central hedron in the Eye of Ugin. The Eldrazi Titans are freed.
- Gideon Jura followed Chandra to Zendikar, but lost her track around the Eye of Ugin. He stayed at Fort Keff and defeated a handful of brood lineage that attacked the fort. Upon seeing Emrakul on the horizon, he fled, knowing he didn't stand a chance against the monstrosity. He leaves Zendikar for Ravnica to petition the help of an organization of planeswalkers.(Presumably, the Infinite Consortium).
- Bolas finishes his efforts to restore Tezzeret's mind and body on the plane of Jund, giving him the task to find the secret of Etherium from Crucius the Mad. Ultimately successful, Bolas then sends Tezzeret to Mirrodin, having become aware of the Phyrexian taint spreading on that plane.
- Koth encounters Elspeth and Venser on Urborg. He enlists their help in dealing with the phyrexian corruption taking place on Mirrodin. Ultimately, weeks (if not months) later, they succeed in freeing Karn at the cost of Venser's life.
- Sorin returns to his homeplane of Innistrad after the fiasco on Zendikar to find it destroying itself.
- Garruk pursues Liliana to Innistrad, intent on having her remove his curse or killing her for inflicting it upon him. After a few months of searching, Liliana tracks Griselbrand's disappearance to the Helvault and manipulates Thalia into destroying it.
- Niv-Mizzet begins extensive research into the nature of the Implicit Maze, appointing Ral Zarek as the lead researcher.
- Gideon Jura arrives on Ravnica to find tensions increasing amid the rise of the Gateless and the resurgence of the guilds. Knowing he has little choice, he places his search for allies on hold, having had little success anyways.
- Jace finishes his own research concerning the Implicit Maze. Shocked by the answers he discovered, he erases his own memory, effectively losing 6 months of his life. However, the activities of House Dimir draw him back in. Niv-Mizzet orchestrates the running of the Implicit Maze.
- Elesh Norn seizes power over the red and black factions of New Phyrexia.
- Koth attempts to assassinate the ascendant Elesh Norn with an incredibly powerful spellbomb, forcing Elspeth to leave New Phyrexia for Theros. Koth escaped alive into the bowels of the furnace layers. He hopes that the Mirran resistance can one day overthrow the Phyrexians.
- Xenagos enacts his plans to manipulate the gods into confronting each other, forcing Kruphix to enact the Silence, removing them from Theros and leaving his path open to ascend to godhood. Following a battle in Akros, Xenagos ascends in the Great Revel, throwing off the balance of power in Theros. Alongside Ajani, Elspeth Tirel enters the realm of Nyx to topple the new god though it ultimately costs her life.
- Sorin Markov arrives on Tarkir and releases Ugin from the hedron cocoon. Sorin tells Ugin about the release of the Eldrazi, and Ugin dismisses him and demands that he seek out Nahiri.
- Sarkhan Vol returns to the present; Tarkir's clans are ruled by dragonlords. He seeks out Ugin and explains his own role in the release of the Eldrazi, and in saving Ugin's life. He leaves Ugin and meets with Narset, a planeswalker he had met in an alternate timeline.
- These events happened in an alternate timeline Tarkir:
- Sorin Markov arrives on Tarkir and seeks out Ugin. He discovers that Ugin is long dead, and despairs of saving the multiverse from the Eldrazi.
- Sarkhan Vol, drawn by a voice in his mind, planeswalks to Tarkir and seeks Ugin. He is joined by Narset, who is merely a monk in this timeline. When they arrive at Ugin's tomb, Zurgo Helmsmasher attacks them and kills Narset. Sarkhan enters a time portal and arrives in Tarkir's past, around the year 3327, where he alters the plane's timeline by saving Ugin's life after a duel with Nicol Bolas. The resulting temporal anomaly forcibly returns him to a modified present-day Tarkir.
Notes on the timeline[edit | edit source]
Since some parts of the timeline are open to interpretation this section was created to show which of them could be different, and why the current version was chosen. This section will not include an argumentation for all dates and the placing of undated events, because dates are often just given in the books, and most undated events have to have happened between certain dated events because of the characters or nations present.
The Thran[edit | edit source]
The book "The Thran" gives dates of all events in the "The Time of the Thran" part of this timeline in relation to the Thran-Phyrexian War (9 years prior, 2 years prior, etc.). The date for the war itself is given in Apocalypse, where Yawgmoth says the war ended 9000 years ago. It was taken as fact for this timeline so we could get definitive dates on the other events of the Thran. So all dates in the "The Time of the Thran" section are correct in relation to each other, but they could be some years off in relation to the other dates on the timeline. (Note that in Invasion, Tsabo Tavoc said the Thran-Phyrexian War ended 6,000 years ago. Since Yawgmoth was there, his statements have been taken over those of Tsabo.)
Arabian Nights[edit | edit source]
The dates of the events of Arabian Nights comic and life of Taysir are roughly estimated, based on The Story of the Battlemage Ravidel, which places birth of Taysir soon after the end of the Brothers' War. Refraction of Rabiah happened still in his infancy. He left the plane as an adult, about three decades later (although it's only an impression of his age derived from the art in the comic). Some sources place Antiquities War comic after Arabian Nights, but one of them also remainds that in fact, the Antiquities War comic is a narrative made by Taysir after he was trapped in the Shard and researched the mysteries of this ancient conflict.
Homelands events[edit | edit source]
The placing of Homelands is a bit of a puzzler. The site of Jeff Lee gives the date of the ringing of the Apocalypse Chime on 4000 A.R., while the WotC Timeline places it between 3800 and 4130. The timeline in the Homelands comic gives no dates in A.R., but gives a chronology of events that takes 620 years, far longer than the 330 years in the WotC timeline.
Now we can leave the 4000 date out, for it is prerevisioned, but the two timelines can be compatible in two ways: either 620 years on Ulgrotha are only 330 years on Dominaria, or the WotC timeline only counts some parts of the Ulgrotha timeline as the actual story. Since there are exactly 330 years between the arrival of Feroz and the collapse of Feroz's Ban (The beginning and ending of the Homelands comic, if you ignore the prologue) the second interpretation is used here.
Scott McGough dates[edit | edit source]
The dates for the Kamigawa Cycle, the Legend's II cycle and the short stories of Astor and Virot Maglan have all been given by Scott McGough on various message boards. They have never been given in an official WotC publishing, but we consider them canon until an official source disproves them.
The Reckoning of the Sages of Minorad[edit | edit source]
Many prerevisionist events have been given in this reckoning, but they are often just plain wrong in revisionist continuity. The Fallen Empires comic says it takes place over a millennium before the Ice Age, while post-rev sources put it only 280 years prior to the ice. Another big event, the Planeswalker War on Corondor, is said to have happened more than a millennia after the gathering of the sages, but this would put it after the Phyrexian invasion, and since several planeswalker that died during the invasion are mayor players in the 'walkers war this can be considered an obsolete date.
Most events have been given a post-rev date by WotC because they are tied to a set and thus on their official timeline (such as Fallen Empires and Homelands). The Shadow Mage, Wayfarer and the Planeswalker War have not been given an official date, but because we know how much time happens between them, we can deduce their post-rev dates: the War happens 70 years after Sandruu's banishment and Wayfarer in the same year as the war. The chapters of Shadow Mage each give the age of Jared Carthalion at that time, and since his age is given as 16 in Wayfarer, the placing of those chapters can be deduced as well.
Mirrodin[edit | edit source]
The events of Mirrodin were a continuity problem. The flavor text of several cards in Mirrodin mention the events of the Mirrodin Cycle taking place millennia after Karn's disappearance from the plane. However, the events of Planar Chaos make it obvious that Mirrodin took place before the Time Spiral Cycle. However it was stated that the rifts allowed Memnarch's delusions to become quasi-real. So one can deduce that thousands of years played out in the golem's mind, while on the outside only a few hundred years have passed.
Ravnica[edit | edit source]
Although we don't know where to exactly fit Ravnica Cycle, Time Spiral Cycle made it clear that Guildpact fell before The Mending.
Alara[edit | edit source]
The conflux of the Shards of Alara take place several months after the events of Agents of Artifice, so we may establish that it takes place approximately 100 years after the mending, since Nicol Bolas had extensive dealings with both Jace and Liliana during the time period before the conflux.
Lorwyn[edit | edit source]
To date there is no means of placing the events of the Lorwyn Cycle, as the plane has so far had no known contact with any others. We do know however, that it happens after the Dominarian Mending, since the Great Aurora that resulted in Maralen's creation was triggered by the mending. Nissa Revane mentioned having studied the use of black mana with Lorwyn's elves. Jace Beleren might have visited Lorwyn at the time of the Great Aurora but due to the hypothetical nature of the article, it is questionable if these events take place.
Zendikar[edit | edit source]
The events of the Zendikar storyline can only vaguely be established thanks to Chandra's theft of the scroll in The Purifying Fire and Jace's experiences working as an agent of the Consortium to retrieve the scroll that Chandra stole. Roughly 3 years passed since Chandra acquired the scroll the first time, and Sarkhan Vol's presence tracking Chandra (apparently there for less than a year) indicates that the Zendikar story takes place after Alara as well.
Tarkir[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Future Sight
- Onslaught Cycle
- The Thran
- Fallen Angel
- Doug Beyer. (August 17, 2014.) "How long were the Eldrazi sealed away?", A Voice for Vorthos, Tumblr.
- Kelly Digges. (October 29, 2014.) “The Lithomancer”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (August 17, 2014.) "How long were the Eldrazi sealed away?", A Voice for Vorthos, Tumblr.
- The Brothers' War
- Arabian Nights
- Loran's Smile - The Colors of Magic
- The Gathering Dark
- The Eternal Ice
- Ice Age
- William R. Forstchen (1994). Magic: The Gathering - Arena. Harper Prism.
- Time Streams
- Matt Cavotta. (February 15, 2006.) “The Royal Bloodline (Emphasis on the blood)”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- The Shadow Mage
- Family Man - The Secrets of Magic
- Clayton Emery (1994). Magic: The Gathering - Whispering Woods. Harper Prism.
- Chainer's Torment
- The Moons of Mirrodin
- Kimberly J. Kreines. (December 14 2014.) “A New Tarkir of Old”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Domineer, Ur-Golem's Eye
- You Are a Planeswalker
- Doug Beyer. (March 5, 2008.) “Following a Dream”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.