Soldier is a creature class. Soldiers are trained combatants who are part of a formal army. They are tough and disciplined, adept at fighting in concert and overwhelming the enemy. The subtype was first featured on Icatian cards of Fallen Empires, but Benalish Hero from Alpha and several other early cards have retroactively become Soldiers, as well.
Description[edit | edit source]
Many soldiers have first strike, vigilance or other combat-oriented abilities. Most soldiers are white   , though a large minority are blue or red, and a few green and black soldiers have been printed as well. In the Grand Creature Type Update the subtypes Avenger (Righteous Avengers), Hero (Benalish Hero), Legionnaire (Akron Legionnaire), Pikeman (Pikemen) and Squire (Squire) were incorporated into the Soldier class.
Soldier Organizations[edit | edit source]
Notable Soldiers[edit | edit source]
- Agrus Kos
- Commander Eesha
- Fonn Zunich
- Gerrard Capashen
- General Jarkeld
- Gideon Jura
- King Darien of Kjeldor
- Lieutenant Kirtar
- Major Teroh
- Myczil Zunich
- Raksha Golden Cub
- Rashida Scalebane
- Torsten Von Ursus
Soldier tokens[edit | edit source]
|Bird Soldier||White||Creature — Bird Soldier||1/1||Flying|
|Cat Soldier||White||Creature — Cat Soldier||1/1||Vigilance|
|Goblin Soldier||Red/White||Creature — Goblin Soldier||1/1|
|Human Soldier||White||Creature — Human Soldier||1/1|
|Kithkin Soldier||White||Creature — Kithkin Soldier||1/1|
| Kithkin Soldier
named Goldmeadow Harrier
|White||Creature — Kithkin Soldier||1/1||,: Tap target creature.|
|Kor Soldier||White||Creature — Kor Soldier||1/1|
|Soldier||Red||Creature — Soldier||1/1||Haste|
|Red/White||Creature — Soldier||1/1||Haste|
|White||Creature — Soldier||1/1||
|White||Creature — Soldier||1/2||Defender|
|White||Enchantment Creature — Soldier||1/1|
|Soldier Ally||White||Creature — Soldier Ally||1/1|
Tribal type[edit | edit source]
- Morningtide featured Veteran's Armaments, an equipment only usable on Soldiers.
- Ballyrush Banneret makes Soldier spells cheaper.
Soldier manlands, enchantments and artifacts[edit | edit source]
Soldiers are created by:
- Boros Keyrune (1/1 red and white Soldier artifact creature with double strike.)
- Forbidding Watchtower (1/5 white Soldier)
- Opal Acrolith (2/4 white Soldier)
- Opal Avenger (3/5 white Soldier)
- Opal Caryatid (2/2 white Soldier)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Gideon Jura can become a 6/6 Human Soldier.
- Gideon, Champion of Justice can become an indestructible Human Soldier creature with power and toughness each equal to the number of loyalty counters on him.
- Daru Stinger gained the Human race in the Grand Creature Type Update, but it was removed later because it made the card substantially better than it was designed.  Thus, it is the only Soldier without a race in it's type line.
References[edit | edit source]
- Blake Rasmussen. (November 11, 2014 .) “Veteran's Day”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (July 23, 2012.) "Spot the Soldier", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast. [dead link]
- Magic Arcana. (February 28, 2003.) "Style Guide - Soldiers", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast. [dead link]
- Mark Rosewater. (May 26, 2003.) "Soldiers of Fortune", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast. [dead link]
- Magic Arcana. (May 27, 2003.) "Soldier Tokens", Daily MTG, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast. [dead link]
- Magic Arcana. (March 22, 2007.) “Planar Chaos Token Art 2”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak. (January 15, 2015 .) “Fate Reforged Update Bulletin — Oracle Text”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.