Hour of Devastation
|This article documents an upcoming release.|
|Hour of Devastation|
|Nicol Bolas' horns|
|Shawn Main (lead) |
|Dave Humpherys (lead) |
Kimberly J. Kreines
|July 14, 2017|
Themes and mechanics
|Nicol Bolas, Deserts, Brick counters|
Keywords and/or ability words
|Afflict, Eternalize, Exert, Cycling, Aftermath|
|199 + 10|
|Amonkhet block sets|
|Amonkhet||Hour of Devastation||(none)|
|Magic: The Gathering chronology|
|Archenemy: Nicol Bolas||Hour of Devastation||Commander 2017|
Set details[edit | edit source]
Hour of Devastation contains 199 cards (15 basic lands, 70 commons, 60 uncommons, 42 rares, 12 mythic rares) and includes randomly inserted premium versions of all cards. The expansion symbol represents the horns of Nicol Bolas. The Planeswalker decks contain 10 additional cards that are considered to be part of the set (2 mythic planeswalkers, 2 rares, 2 uncommons, 2 commons and 2 common dual taplands). These are numbered #200/199 to #209/199). Five of basic lands are full-art (different art from the Amonkhet ones).
While the previous set mostly was top-down design inspired by Egypt with some top-down Bolas, Hour of Devastation is mostly top-down Bolas with some top-down Egypt. Starting with Hour of Devastation R&D pulled back significantly on how often Gatewatch planeswalkers appear as cards. The non-full art basic lands were previewed in Archenemy: Nicol Bolas.
Storyline[edit | edit source]
|“||Unleash your Endgame||”|
As promised, the God-Pharaoh has returned. Unfortunately, the promise of a glorious afterlife wasn't quite what everyone thought it was. Nicol Bolas has come to claim his perfect Zombie army, the Eternals. The Gatewatch is easily defeated. Samut's planeswalker's spark is ignited.
Marketing[edit | edit source]
Amonkhet Invocations[edit | edit source]
The Masterpiece Series for Amonkhet block are called Amonkhet Invocations. These are all premium foil cards with a special Amonkhet card frame and a separate expansion symbol (). Thus, they are not part of the sets. Amonkhet Invocations are all about the Amonkhet gods, their magic and their servants. They include all new art, a card frame inspired by Egyptian steles without flavor text. They appear slightly more often than premium mythic rares. These cards are playable in limited and formats where they're already legal. 30 Invocation cards previously appeared with Amonkhet and 24 more cards appear in Hour of Devastation.
Events[edit | edit source]
- Prerelease Events take place on July 8, 2017
Promotional Cards[edit | edit source]
- Prerelease: a stamped card that can be any rare or mythic rare from the set.
- Draft Weekend: Ramunap Excavator 
- Game Day: full-art Abrade
- Game Day (Top 8): full-art Adorned Pouncer
- Buy-a-Box: Wildfire Eternal
Tokens[edit | edit source]
There are 12 tokens for Hour of Devastation. Every creature spell with Eternalize has a unique matching token.
- Eternalized Adorned Pouncer
- Eternalized Dreamstealer
- Eternalized Earthshaker Khenra
- Eternalized Reshaper Khenra
- Eternalized Steadfast Sentinel
- 5/4 snake for Bontu's Last Stand
- 1/1 Insect with flying and haste for The Locust God
Themes and mechanics[edit | edit source]
There are two new named mechanics:
- Eternalize — a keyword ability which is an evolved Embalm. Eternalize can only be activated if the creature is in the graveyard. When activated, the card is exiled and creates a token copy of itself. This creature token is a copy of the eternalized creature, except that it is a zombie in addition to its other creature types and monocolored black. Its power/toughness becomes 4/4. Many creatures with eternalize have abilities that get better because of their increased power.
- Afflict — a static ability with a variable value. Whenever a creature with this ability becomes blocked, defending player loses life equal to the Afflict value.
Card types[edit | edit source]
This set adds the three forgotten Gods from Amonkhet.
Cycles[edit | edit source]
Hour of Devastation has at least seven cycles:
- Cycling Deserts: Five common cycling lands with the Desert subtype, which artistically are degraded version of the Monument cycle in the previous set — Desert of the True (), Desert of the Mindful (), Desert of the Glorified (), Desert of the Fervent () and Desert of the Indomitable ()
- Defeats: Five uncommon same-color hoser spells, which gain strength if used against a specific planeswalker of the Gatewatch — Gideon's Defeat (), Jace's Defeat (), Liliana's Defeat (), Chandra's Defeat () and Nissa's Defeat ().
- Forgotten Gods: The three mythic rare gods that Bolas corrupted — The Scorpion God (), The Scarab God (), The Locust God ()
- God's last actions: Five under-costed rare spells flavored to match the Gods that causes your lands to not untap on your next upkeep (Exert-inspired) — Oketra's Last Mercy (), Bontu's Last Reckoning (), Rhonas's Last Stand ().
- Two cycles of split cards featuring the aftermath mechanic —
- Two-colored draft archetypes: Ten uncommon cards which each represent a two-colored draft archetype — ??? (), ??? (), ??? (), ??? (), ??? (), ??? (), ??? (), River Hoopoe (), ??? (), and Resolute Survivors ().
Reprinted cards[edit | edit source]
Functional reprints[edit | edit source]
Card comparisons[edit | edit source]
Preconstructed decks[edit | edit source]
|Planeswalker deck name||Colors included||Planeswalker|
|Nissa||U||G||Nissa, Genesis Mage|
|Nicol Bolas||U||B||R||Nicol Bolas, The Deceiver|
Notable cards[edit | edit source]
- Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh is a four-loyalty-ability planeswalker. It was printed eight years after the first planeswalker card for Nicol Bolas.
- God-Pharaoh's Gift is mentioned by Gate to the Afterlife, which was released in Amonkhet before.
References[edit | edit source]
- Product information
- Wizards of the Coast. (August 31, 31.) “Announcement Day”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (June 06, 2017.) "Those extra 15 cards?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (June 19, 2017.) “Darkest Hour, Part 1”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (April 3, 2017.) “Amonkhet Down to Business, Part 1”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (April 17, 2017.) “Amonkhet Down to Business, Part 3”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (April 07, 2017.) "I get you want to push the Gatewatch but the same ones is a little tiring.", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Basic lands from Archenemy: Nicol Bolas spoiled
- Mark Rosewater. (March 30, 2017.) "What is the theme of the Amonkhet Invocations supposed to be?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Wizards of the Coast. ( June 19, 2017.) “Masterpiece Series: Hour of Devastation Invocations”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (June 17, 2017 .) “The Promos and Planeswalker Decks for Hour of Devastation”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Tabak. (June 17, 2017.) “Hour of Devastation Mechanics”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (April 10, 2017.) “Amonkhet Down to Business, Part 2”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Wizards of the Coast. (February 9, 2017.) “Amonkhet Release Notes”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.