An emblem is a marker with an ability on it, created by Planeswalker cards.
Description[edit | edit source]
An emblem is different from a card or a token. The ability and the controlling player are the only characteristics it has. Emblems have no color, name, card type, or anything else — just that ability. They are placed in the command zone, which is the same place where Archenemy schemes, Planechase planes, Vanguard cards, and EDH generals are placed. An emblem is not a permanent, and absolutely nothing can touch it or get rid of it as long as the player who gained it remains in the game, simply because no cards say that they can.
Emblems were created in the July 2010 rules update to fix rules revolving around Elspeth, Knight-Errant's ultimate, which left an effect hanging over the game without any visual indicator. Elspeth could theoretically 'go off' and then be shuffled back in the deck or somehow end up totally out of play, but still have her indestructibility clause hanging over the battle for turns to come. This situation left open the possibility that players would just forget about it.
Emblems are cumulative, so it's possible to have the same emblem multiple times, but not all emblems have abilities which are cumulative themselves.
Starting with Magic 2015, emblems have a type line, which includes the Planeswalker subtype. That does not change the rule from 113.3 that emblems do not have any types, and the types on the emblem are only present as visual representation.
Rules[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Emblem was featured as rules card 5 of 5 in the Scars of Mirrodin set.
- Emblems function similar to the text on Vanguard cards.
- Venser and Koth’s emblems were featured in their Duel Deck.
- Elspeth's emblem was first actually printed in Modern Masters.
- Emblems can't be destroyed, as the "destroy" keyword only applies to permanents, and emblems are not permanents. R&D has no plans to create spells that are able to remove remove them.
- Emblems are a planeswalker-only thing.
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark L. Gottlieb. (July 14, 2010.) “July 2010 Update Bulletin”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Blake Rasmussen. (July 2, 2014.) “Magic 2015 tokens”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Mark Rosewater. (June 13, 2015.) "Are we ever going to be able to destroy emblems?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (January 28, 2017.) "Any thoughts on future cards to remove or disable emblems from planeswalkers?", Blogatog, Tumblr.
- Mark Rosewater. (September 07, 2015.) "Could there ever be a non-Planeswalker card that created emblems?", Blogatog, Tumblr.