Beast is a catch-all creature type used for large, monstrous, animal-like creatures.  The first creature to bear the type was Beasts of Bogardan in Legends (though the Clockwork Beast from Alpha and Guardian Beast from Arabian Nights were later issued errata to become beasts), but it wasn't until Tempest that the "beast" subtype attained widespread usage. Later, in the Odyssey and Onslaught blocks, "beast" became a common "tribe" with considerable inter-card support.
Specific types of Beasts[edit | edit source]
- Native to Zendikar and Dominaria. Lizard-like. They often have horns protruding from their heads and backs as well as sharp claws and daggerlike teeth.  However, some forms native to Zendikar resemble rhinoceroses or Stegosauruses with hooves.
- Beasts of Bogardan
- Massive horned creatures that move suprisingly silently, but also can produce terrifying scream. Native to Alara and Amonkhet.
- Similar to wild goats with large horns on their heads.
- Native to Mirrodin. They appear to be humanoid and propel themselves on two legs while their frontal extremities bear sharp claws. They have antelope like heads and horns but maws with dagger-like teeth.
- Akin to a raptor with horns. Long thought merely a Dominarian legend.
- Native to Zendikar. They are cute . . . from a distance.
- Guardian Beast
- A powerful Rabian creature found in the workshop of El Hajjaj, guarding the City in a Bottle. It was fought off by the Dervish Taysir.
- Hellions (sometimes printed without the "beast" type)
- Long, leech-like creatures with tentacles protruding from their front ends and with circular maws. They burrow through the earth for transportation.
- Massive beasts identical to the prehistoric indricotheres (possibly based also on the slavic mythological creature that named that group as well). They occur mostly in Ravnica. 
- Vicious Rabbit-Beasts
- Large, rhino-like beasts found on Tarkir.
- Nishoba (sometimes printed without the "beast" type)
- The name says it all. Native to Amonkhet
- Orggs (sometimes printed without the "beast" type)
- Beasts named raptors are akin to the dinosaurs of the same name and printed during Onslaught block. However, cards with "Raptor" in their name are often Birds and in one instance a Lizard.
- Slaughterhorns 
- Native to Mercadia. They are elephant-like but with a woolly head and gigantic teeth. Their hooves may have claws.
Grand Creature Type Update[edit | edit source]
In the Grand Creature Type Update the creature types Carnivore (Tooth and Claw), Lurker (Lurker), Villain (Spinal Villain) and Frostbeast (Kjeldoran Frostbeast) were changed into Beast. On the other hand Glowing Anemone was changed from Beast to Anemone, while later reverting to Beast and gaining the added Jellyfish type. Warthog shortly was a Beast (Warthog) before being turned into a Boar.
Beast tokens[edit | edit source]
|Beast||Black||Creature — Beast||3/3||Deathtouch|
|Green||Creature — Beast||2/2|
|Green||Creature — Beast||4/2|
|Green||Creature — Beast||3/3|
|Green||Creature — Beast||4/4|
|Green||Creature — Beast||5/5|
|Green||Creature — Beast||5/5||Trample|
|Red/Green/White||Creature — Beast||8/8|
|Colorless||Artifact Creature — Beast||6/6|
|Red||Creature — Beast||3/1|
named Caller of the Pack
|White||Creature — Beast||8/6|| Trample
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Krosan Warchief is a Beast Lord.
- Gruul Keyrune is a manstone that can become a 3/2 red and green Beast artifact creature with trample.
- Hidden Predators is a Enchantment that can become a 4/4 green Beast.
References[edit | edit source]
- Mark Rosewater. (November 18, 2002.) “Beast of Show”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (August 10, 2011.) “Magic's Exclusive Creatures”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (November 08, 2013.) “What is a Catoblepas?”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Matt Cavotta. (August 09, 2006.) “The Incredible Hulk”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (July 30, 2008.) “Concepting Eventide, Part 2”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Trick Jarrett. (May 10, 2013.) “Bloodrush Art”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Doug Beyer. (March 16, 2011.) “Six Secrets Behind the Sets”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Magic Arcana. (May 14, 2007.) “The Ferocious Vorrac”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.
- Monty Ashley. (September 27, 2010.) “Copperhorn”, magicthegathering.com, Wizards of the Coast.